web analytics
Home > General > Scary Monday Morning

Scary Monday Morning

August 23rd, 2005

Haven’t had time to post lately due to a number of absences, both planned and unplanned. The most recent was a little health scare I had early Monday morning. Long story short, I’m fine, but it was frightening at the time.

I’d had a head cold a couple of weeks back, but it had seemed to have cleared up until I began to feel achy again Sunday afternoon. By the time I went to bed, I was running a 101 degree temperature. I spent most of the night tossing and sweating, and about 4:00 am, decided to go to the bathroom. Suddenly, I pitched over and hit my forehead on the bathtub before falling to the floor, unconscious. I remember fainting–it was like falling asleep–and hitting my head, and I heard Vic calling me from the bedroom. Next thing I knew, I’d moved about ten feet and was still lying on the floor, and could hear Vic on the phone with the 911 operator. Seems that I had been responsive to Vic’s questions, so she thought I was okay enough to move. She apparently tried to help me back to bed, but I fell again, this time hitting the back of my head. (I’ve since teased Vic about this.)

Once I awoke, I was conscious and lucid from that point on. I could see myself in the mirror, so I knew that my pupils weren’t dilated. The paramedics showed up a few minutes later, time enough for Vic to make sure I was wearing pants. The paramedics said (and the ER doctors agreed) that I’d merely had an occurence of syncope— in other words, fainting due to sudden loss of blood pressure. Sounds like it was a combination of fever, stress and dehydration.

So, at about 4:30 am, I was being shuttled out of my front door via stretcher. I knew things couldn’t be too serious, as the ambulance drove to the hospital without emergency lights or sirens. I cracked a few jokes to the med techs–kept them in stitches, of course–only stopped when one of them jabbed me with the most painful needle I have ever encountered.

Vic–having spent a fair amount of time in hospitals over the years–was great to have in a crisis. She brought my medications, my shoes, something to read and a cuddly stuffed animal (Godzilla’s arch foe Megalon). She also did her best to keep me from panicking, though that’s all but impossible.

I spent a few hours in the emergency room at Carle being largely ignored, but was ultimately given an array of tests which appeared to rule out stroke, heart attack or anything else serious. I went home with some good drugs to knock out the fever, and spent the day sleeping, watching Citizen Kane and playing X-Men Legends. I’ve got a good bump on my forehead as a souvenir, though if I did hit the back of my head, it doesn’t appear to have done anything.

I got a good night’s sleep, and woke up fever-free, so I went in to work to try to catch up.

Categories: General Tags:
Comments are closed.